uninsured claims

The total cost of a car accident can be extremely high. If the negligent driver in a crash doesn’t is uninsured or has insufficient coverage, you might assume you will have to pay out of your own pocket to cover your expenses. Our legal team knows how to get you the funds you deserve.

A car accident is never a fun experience; and, the aftermath of dealing with insurance companies can be a headache, to say the least. What can make it even more difficult is dealing with a situation where the at-fault driver doesn’t have insurance or has fled the scene of the accident and you don’t have his or her identifying information. Similarly, depending on the severity of the accident, the policy limit of the driver’s insurance policy could be much lower than what is needed to fully compensate the victims for their damages. When a negligent driver is uninsured or underinsured and thus cannot cover the costs associated with an accident they caused, those injured can look to their own auto insurance policies for uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage, which provides additional coverage for bodily injury or property damage.

Working with insurance companies after a car accident can be a daunting, especially when dealing with uninsured claims. There are different laws governing what can and can’t be covered, timelines for deciding claims, and guidelines on what amounts can be awarded. Having an experienced attorney like those on the legal team at J.D. Silva & Associates helps navigate the claims process and can make it much easier to ensure all laws are being complied with and everything is filed properly.

Additionally, insurance companies are always trying to avoid paying and will fight to pay out as little as possible. Our lawyers guide you in determining what amount you should receive and fight to make sure you get every dollar owed to you. Unlike with a lack of insurance altogether, it is up to the victim to prove the other driver is “underinsured,” and our lawyers can help provide evidence as needed. Also, if a claim has already been settled, the lawyer can examine the documents to ensure the company did all it could to provide an appropriate payout. An experienced motor vehicle accident lawyer can also look at your case and determine whom to sue for compensation, including third parties if someone else could be held liable for the accident.

Houston Car Accident Law Firm

J.D. Silva & Associates has extensive experience helping clients navigate these often confusing and difficult insurance situations. Our lawyers work to handle all the negotiations with the insurance companies so our clients can focus on getting better. We work hard to get you the money you deserve and have the resources to see your case through to the end. Contact us today at 281-971-3200 to discuss your case with our team.

Frequently Asked Questions: UM/UIM Claims

How Can I File an Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Claim?

Set up the claim by calling your insurance company’s claims number, which should be on your insurance card or you can find it online. The insurance company will investigate your claim, which will require a release to allow them to get your medical and other relevant records. Once medical care and property damage repairs are complete, the insurance company will begin negotiating your claim. Remember, while this is your own insurance company, they are still your adversaries in this process. Neither trust what they tell you nor rely on them for advice.

What is Uninsured or Underinsured (UM/UIM) Coverage?

UM and UIM are types of insurance coverage that pay for injuries and losses resulting from a collision caused by a driver that either doesn’t have insurance or has too little insurance to cover all losses. Your own uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will help you and your family pay medical bills and more if the person responsible for your accident cannot due to a lack of coverage.


Contact us to see how we can help!