If you have a serious accident while working on a vessel, it is handled differently than if it has happened on land. Having an experienced maritime lawyer on your side can help you navigate unfamiliar laws and move forward.

Texas – with its miles of coastline and bustling ports – employs many people in the maritime industry. Working offshore presents unique risks and challenges. While safety is stressed on boats and other vessels in navigation, accidents do happen, sometimes resulting in injury and death. Maritime accidents at sea can be particularly bad.

When someone is injured while working aboard or in some capacity related to a ship it can be confusing on how to proceed. J.D. Silva & Associates has extensive experience helping seamen and others working offshore navigate obtaining restitution for injuries sustained in a maritime accident. We help clients navigate claims under the Jones Act, Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA), and the Death on the High Seas Act (DOHSA), among other laws. Our investigation into your case includes looking at your job and the training you received, the company you worked for, and the condition of the vessel where you worked. We use this information to determine how to present your case.

maritime law

Companies know individuals injured on the job are entitled to a great deal of compensation under admiralty law, including help with medical bills and ongoing treatment and lost current and future wages, to name a few. These items can be expensive, so maritime employers and other companies often try to avoid paying claims in order to protect their bottom line. A skilled offshore injury lawyer at J.D. Silva & Associates will help you throughout the whole process, by advising you on all requests for information from you and by evaluating documents the company produces. We will make sure you get the maximum amount due to you.

The aftermath of a maritime accident can be a daunting time. Contact J.D. Silva & Associates  or call 281-971-3200 if you or a loved one has been hurt or killed while working at sea. We can review your case and determine the best course of action to take in order to get your the compensation you deserve. We will see your case through to the end and take the stress out of the process so you can focus on healing.

Frequently Asked Questions: Maritime Accidents

What is admiralty or maritime law?

Admiralty law and maritime law both refer to the law that governs offshore affairs. Maritime law is vital to protect those who earn their living working offshore, aboard ships, oil rigs, dredgers and other vessels.

Do I Qualify as a Seaman Under The Jones Act?

It is not always obvious who qualifies as a seaman and thus for Jones Act coverage. Seamen can sue their employer for work-related injuries caused by the employer’s negligence, greatly increasing their rights to the recovery of damages for an injury related to maritime employment. To qualify as a seaman under the Jones act, a worker must:

  • Have a substantial connection to a fleet or vessel
  • Be employed on vessel “in navigation” and
  • Contribute to the vessel’s function or mission

What Is Maintenance and Cure and Can I Get It?

When an offshore worker becomes ill or is injured while in service of a vessel, the employer is legally required to pay worker expenses covered under maintenance and cure. This includes daily living expenses and medical expenses. Almost all seamen are entitled to maintenance and cure benefits.

Contact us to see how we can help!